Thursday, March 16, 2017

Early Spring 2017

Dear Friends,

Greetings from Washington where everyone is a Seahawk’s fan! Above are the happy faces of our fledgling church youth group. I hope they will become strong fans of Jesus! We got started in December and meet twice a month for fun and a Bible lesson (and popcorn). One of the moms, Blanca, is co-leader with me. We recently wanted to raise money for the youth to attend a Christian concert. What do you suppose was Blanca’s idea? She made about 90 tamales and we sold them to folks at church and to my Line Dancing friends. Delicious! And I got a lesson in tamale making. (It’s labor intensive.)



The biggest news since my last update is that I was invited in late November to be a delegate to the Seventh Day Baptist World Federation meetings in Brazil in January. I was stepping in for someone who couldn’t make it, and all my expenses were covered. I was thrilled at the opportunity and praised God for such a generous gift. I had a current passport and was able to secure a visa in time, so off I went on January 18. Four flights and 29 hours later I was at Hope Ranch (Chácara Esperança) in Curitiba, Brazil.
Pastors Fred Maduka, Malawi, and Daniel Nsubuga, Uganda

My stay began with the Brazilian Conference on Friday and Sabbath, then the World Federation the following week. The Brazilian SDBs are such gracious, loving people! We had a wonderful time worshipping and visiting with them, despite the language difference. With my Spanish I could understand some Portuguese, and they provided several interpreters for us, from among their members.

It was summertime in southern Brazil, though not above 80 degrees most days due to being in a mountainous area. I enjoyed the unusual flowers and trees, especially a tree called the Monkey Puzzle. It’s a type of evergreen that resembles an open umbrella and can live up to 2,000 years! They’re very tall and are abundant in this corner of Brazil.














Our Brazilian hosts took us sight-seeing one day, including lunch at a Brazilian grill called a Churrascaria. It’s a buffet with the addition of waiters bringing an assortment of grilled meats on large skewers directly to your table to carve off slices of melt-in-your-mouth beef, shrimp, chicken, pork, etc. We also visited three nearby SDB churches and enjoyed meeting many of the brethren there. At right is the First Seventh Day Baptist Church of Curitiba.
I have so many happy memories of the World Federation week as we worshipped, studied the Bible, heard messages, debated business matters, and ate meals together, but I think my favorite memory is of the music. The members of the worship team were all gifted musicians, clearly rejoicing in the Lord as they played and sang under the direction of Luiz Miranda. Such music! Lively, worshipful, a variety of styles, and usually in both Portuguese and English. Luiz gathered a small group of us to be the first-ever World Federation choir and we sang twice on Sabbath. Below is a video sample of the music.
 


Presentation of the newly elected World Federation officers
Pastor Fred Maduka and Yours Truly
It was an honor to participate and to make new friends with SDBs from so far away. One example is Fred Maduka of Malawi who shared with me that he gave his life to Christ because of the ministry of missionary David Pearson. Pastor Fred is now president of the Central Africa Conference of SDBs. The theme for the week was, “The Kingdom of God is like…” (Just as Jesus began many of his parables). I am so grateful for this taste of heaven where there will be believers from every tribe, tongue and nation.


Pastor Bernardino de Vargas Sobrinho of Brazil





The weekly ministry at the Auburn library is going well with four of us taking turns working the table in pairs. I’ve had two lengthy conversations with a gentleman from the Jehovah’s Witness table who patiently explained why Jesus cannot be Jehovah but is an exalted being like no other. He showed me verses from their altered translation of the Bible and I pointed out the similarity of Romans 10:9 (“If you declare with your mouth that Jesus is Lord… you will be saved”) and 10:13 (“Everyone who calls on the name of Jehovah will be saved” NWT). He said I was getting confused. Pray for his heart to open!

On Valentine’s Day I wrote on our marker board, “Jesus said, ‘Love one another.’ “  A Muslim woman from Niger, fully covered except for her eyes, came to our table saying she liked that sign, that we should all learn to do that. She stayed to tell me how great Islam is and how misunderstood. She agreed to take one of our gospels of John to learn more about this Jesus who they acknowledge was a prophet. After our conversation she said I was a nice person and gave me a hug. Praise God for that encounter!

At the Kent Library table we have a pretty steady stream of visitors, perhaps because we are outside. One man, an atheist, came several weeks in a row to chat and argue, giving me things to look up and read, and open to my suggestions of things for him to check out. It’s an interesting dialog, and reminds me how important it is to understand another’s perspective in order to offer truth where they have weak spots. I thought his definition of atheist was interesting as “someone for whom the idea of God doesn’t make sense.” Let’s pray the Holy Spirit gives him insight into the one, true living God.

I recently attended a presentation on Islam by a local Imam, offered at our Senior Center. As he stepped through his many slides it became obvious he wanted to convince us that their God is the same as the God of the Jews and Christians, and they are peaceful and do not force anyone to convert. From my research, I know Islam is only peaceful at the start of the Quran, not at the end. Mohammad endorsed forced conversions and led his people in military conquests. Their god requires good works to earn his love and favor, with no guarantees about paradise. They gave away many tracts and free copies of the Quran. “Jesus in Islam”, “Human Rights in Islam.”  The need is great for followers of Jesus to actively share the true gospel to counter the influence of false religions.

Pastor Ben brings the Word
"Let it rain" - "Haz llover"
The home Bible studies are going well. Blanca wanted a different day than Magali so we meet on Friday mornings, and her neighbor (another mom) has joined us. We are studying the epic story of the Bible through “The Story of Hope” (www.goodsoil.com). The lessons cover key biblical events leading to the coming of the Messiah, with colorful illustrations. Blanca recently posted to her friends on Facebook an invitation to this study and thanked me saying, “This is helping me so much and I’m learning so many spiritual things.” Magali added, “Thank you, Patty, for your patience to answer all our questions.”

Pastor Ben and Marcela's 29th anniversary

In other news, I’m teaching the youth at church on Sabbath and occasionally bringing the message during the worship service. I’m taking an online course on Sabbath Theology, which is very interesting and has a challenging workload. It ends in June with one week of in-class instruction at the SDB center in Janesville, WI. I’ll also be traveling to New York State soon to attend the SDB Pastor’s Conference, April 25-27, as the assistant pastor for our church.


Crafted of PlayDoh by a youth to illustrate a story.


I thank the Lord fervently for your faithful prayers and giving. Because of your financial support I’m able to travel to conferences, purchase Bibles for the ministry tables, buy curriculum, and cover my monthly expenses. I am so thankful to be able to work full-time in ministry, and I’m learning and growing in so many ways (Pastor Ben confirms that). 😊

As always, donations can be directed to the church here, “IBS Dia”, and contact me for the mailing address. Be sure to note my name on the memo line of the check. We can also set up automatic fund transfers (EFTs), bank to bank.





Please lift up these needs in your prayers. Thank you!
·       Several of our families would like to go to General Conference in southern California in July and will need to save for that and take time off work. Please pray for everything to come together.
·       For additional gospel outreaches as the weather warms up, including “church in the park”.
·       For our church as we add more structure and organization.
·       For pastors Ben, Marcela and me as we lead our congregation.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment