Monday, June 2, 2014

June 2014 Update


Hello friends and family!

Thank you for praying for me as I sought God's direction on where to serve next.  I spoke with 11 church planters (8 places) over the past two months, learning a lot about the good things God is doing among Seventh Day Baptists.  Pastor Steve Osborn has been a key mentor and prayer supporter in this process.  We sense God is leading me to work with the Full Gospel Seventh Day Baptist Church in Cumberland, MD, under Pastor Ron Higson (http://www.fullgospelsdb.org/).  They have invited me to come and assist in their church ministry, especially in the area of evangelism.  (Photo above.)  They’ve been meeting for a few years but are still small and want to see more people come to salvation in Christ.  “Full Gospel” in their name refers to preaching the full gospel story, from Genesis to Revelation.

An exciting answer to prayer is that I already have a place to live!  I’m renting a partially furnished house that belongs to church members, just 2 miles from the church.  I'll leave June 9, Lord willing, and drive out with my belongings packed in my car.  At the end of June the church is hosting the Appalachian Association of SDB churches, a great way for me to start!

The first-ever SDB Church Planting Conference was terrific.  17 of us, some church planters and some “encouragers”, met at Camp Harley Sutton in western New York at the end of April and learned from Jared Siebert, Director of Church Planting for Free Methodists in Canada.  He challenged us to always put God’s mission before the local church.  It’s tempting to focus on the life of the church with minimal attention to evangelism and outreach in the community, but when we do that we tend to have a wrong attitude toward the lost – we look down on them.  Jared told us, “The church exists primarily for the sake of those outside.”  The idea is a church-planting team evangelizes in a community, nurtures new believers to grow in Christ, equips each of them to be a missionary in their context (home, work place, school, neighborhood), and the new church raises up more church planters for the ongoing mission of God.  The Full Gospel Church wants to give these approaches a try.

One of the things we realized at the Conference was the need to form a network of SDB church planters so they know about and can support each other.  I’ll be helping facilitate this through monthly conference calls and emails.  Pastor John Pethtel already set up a Facebook group so planters have a private forum for encouraging and sharing.


In early May we celebrated my son, Paul’s, college graduation (University of Colorado), along with milestone birthdays for my mother, and my sister, Susan.  I have 3 sisters and all were in town, so it was a great family time.  I thank the Lord often for putting me in such a loving, supportive family.
 






Next, a five-day trip to Pine Ridge Indian Reservation to visit the Marks family who have a mission church there.  I’ve taken groups there each summer since 2007.  It’s always encouraging to spend time with them on the farm, helping with whatever chores need doing.  My kids, Ana and Paul, joined me, as well as Paul’s girlfriend, Aimee.  One memorable event was helping to shear a sheep using non-electric clippers.  God bless Pastor Chet and Barb as they get ready to launch a church bus ministry, teaching Bible stories to the Native American children and parents in a converted bus.  If you want to contribute to that ministry (gas money is much needed), let me know.


At the end of May, my best buddy, Gretchen, and I drove to Kingman, AZ, to retrieve my belongings (she drove the rental truck back).  It was good to see those friends again, if only for a short visit.  Now my things are consolidated and stored in the garage of my host family in Brighton, CO.  It’s too expensive to move furniture every time, hence only taking what fits in the car for the move to Maryland.  I also got a bike rack so I can take the bike along.  There are cycling trails along old railroad beds and canal towpaths.  I’m getting excited about exploring this part of the country so rich in history and much lusher in vegetation than Colorado or Arizona.  This implies more humidity than I’m used to, but that’s okay!
 
Cumberland, Maryland, downtown
Your prayers are much appreciated as I prepare to serve in Maryland.  There will be the time of adjustment to a new place again, getting to know a new community and finding ways to plug in.  Also, please pray for a good transition to working in ministry with Pastor Ron and Karen Higson and the Full Gospel church.  Jesus prayed for his disciples “that they may be one,” to be like-minded, and that’s a good prayer for us too.
 
At the one-year mark I’m going back to my original donors and asking them to commit to another year, as well as seeking new supporters to raise my income to a level that covers expenses.  (My savings has made up the shortfall, also covering moving and travel.)  If you want to participate financially in this ministry, please contact the SDB Missionary Society, (401) 596-4326 or email office@sdbmissions.org. 

You can also support me as a Xango customer, www.MyMangosteen.com/Luke 638.  (I receive commissions.)  Xango juice and supplements come straight from nature, giving support to the immune system.  A recent customer noted my good health and energy and said, “I want what you have – give me that product.”  I’m grateful for the impact of these products on my health, helping me serve the Lord with high energy.  Email me for details, ppetersen57@hotmail.com.

It’s an exciting time for Seventh Day Baptists as we recommit to God’s mission to seek and save the lost; giving more of ourselves to serve our neighbors, leading them to Christ.  I’m thrilled and humbled to help lead this movement.  Forward!
The Burdick sisters (Mary Ellen, Susan, Patty, JoAnne) and Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment